Peer Advice for Attending the ISS World Expo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peer Advice for Attending the ISS World Expo

Storman provided some great reasons and advice for attending the show in this thread. Does anyone else who's attended a past ISS World Expo show want to offer advice on how to make the most of it? What tips can you offer fellow attendees?
    Amy Campbell
    Editor
    Inside Self-Storage
    [email protected]

@AmyCampbell_ISS

OK. I have to say it. The best advice I ever received from Gina6k . Wear comfortable shoes!
    Stephanie Tharpe
    President
    A+ Management Group, LP
    Nashville, TN
    www.aplusmanagementgroup.com

TNSSA Board of Directors
    www.tnssa.net

Comment

I'll share a few thoughts as a vendor:
      This is a really busy trade show - unlike any other in the industry. When the doors open, some vendor booths will be mobbed. As Trachte's marketing manager I can tell you that we are sending everyone that we possibly can to this show, and I can also tell you that if you want to talk with us on the first day, you will likely need a little patience. The second day is usually less crazy, so you may want to arrange your schedule so that you take advantage of that time.

Don't interrupt other attendees. Every year it happens... as we are working with a client discussing their next project, someone will attempt to butt in for a "quick" question, which is never actually quick. Don't be that guy. Come back, I promise it will slow down and we can give you the attention that your project deserves as well.

Do bring details on your project! Nothing makes it easier to help you out that having copies of your site plan to review and discuss together.

Try to find the right person to talk to. Many of the vendors in our industry have many sales regions, and if you can speak to the right person immediately, you can avoid having to explain your project twice.

And most importantly: Bring comfortable shoes, drink plenty of water, and book your show tickets early (The Beatles - Love is excellent!).

Comment

As Steve_hajewski says, drink PLENTY of water. I have two other things, one, bring your own toilet paper. No explanation needed. Two, bring nasal spray. If you are not used to the dry climate it can do a number on your nose. Be sure to get OUTSIDE and get fresh air.

Make sure you plan your seminars prior to the show. It makes it so much easier. See what education topics you are interested in the most and plan to attend. If I have two scheduled at the same time, I will go to both and hear half of it. If you are a manager, the management tracks are fantastic. Are you new and want to know more about development? The development tracks are for you!

The trade show floor is my favorite! Think about goals you may have. Do you want to update your software? Find someone to do your website? Maybe a new tenant insurance carrier or a see the newest offerings for gate system apps? Make your way around the floor and seek out the vendors that you want to talk to.

I attend shows all around the country and this one is definitely the best! It has the most education and the most vendor participation of them all.

If you are an owner, I encourage you to send your managers! When my employees go they come back excited, they have new ideas and they perform better. Also, they are exhausted LOL!
        Stephanie Tharpe
        President
        A+ Management Group, LP
        Nashville, TN

TNSSA Board of Directors
        www.tnssa.net

Comment

Bring extra business cards.
          Make a list of goals you want to accomplish while at the Expo (cheaper lock supplier, better LED lighting, upgrade management software, online auction sites, etc.)
          Backup battery charger for your phone. It's a waste of time to take yourself out of the game and sit in the hall next to an outlet while your phone charges.

In no way affiliated with Storman software.

Comment

Have one of the pocket phone chargers in your purse, pocket or briefcase. Make sure it's charged every night, as your cell phone battery will drain fast.

Comfortable shoes are a given, save the fashion pieces for the evenings out.
            As MusicCity Gal Gal said; nasal spray. And I'd add your favorite all around moisturizer and a hair defrizz product. It's amazing how dry you get so quickly.

When the schedule is released look at the various tracks. Construction versus management etc. Decide where you need to improve your knowledge and do that track. Secondly, view each sessions' focus. Maybe you're very familiar with that session's topic, so switch tracks and pop into a management session.

Tracks are the overall theme or course of learning focus being offered. A session is an almost hour long focused presentation on an aspect within a track.

Split up! If you take your team, or spouse, don't just hang out in your safe bubble of friends, separate and learn more.

Don't party too late into the night, save that for the last night of the show.

On the trade show floor you'll find as Steve_hajewski some vendors will be swamped. I've done the "I know you're busy, so here's my card, please contact me next week regarding X topic"

So here's the interesting part about that. I have done this many times and the vendors that take their business and customers seriously will contact you. Others could care less, and guess who never gets my business?

If you're a newbie at the Expo prepare yourself for information overload. Take notes because you will forget things. Have fun!
            Gina 6k
            twitter.com/GinaSixKudo
            VM: Four-Oh-Eight- Seven-Eight-Oh-Eight-Oh-Seven-Nine
            [email protected]

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough!
            I am not an attorney, just an experienced manager who is willing to share what I have learned. Your thoughts, practices or opinions may vary and neither of us may be right.

Comment

Originally posted by Gina6k View Post

Don't party too late into the night, save that for the last night of the show.
              Absolutely!! Save it for the last night. The last night is a celebration that you survived LOL!
              Stephanie Tharpe
              President
              A+ Management Group, LP
              Nashville, TN

TNSSA Board of Directors
              www.tnssa.net

Comment

Originally posted by MusicCity Gal View Post
                OK. I have to say it. The best advice I ever received from Gina6k . Wear comfortable shoes!
                I second this!!!
                MamaDuke

Comment

My crew after the final session a few years ago. We had went to Jeff Greenberger's Legal Q and A (which is FANTASTIC! Never miss it) and they were exhausted. LOL.

12115810_10209100041768786_6974935917140270427_n.jpg
                  Stephanie Tharpe
                  President
                  A+ Management Group, LP
                  Nashville, TN

TNSSA Board of Directors
                  www.tnssa.net

Comment

And this is me with Gina at my first ISS Expo having some fun at the Golden Nugget. She is my Storage BFF!

1966173_10203412420141800_15040635_o.jpg
                    Stephanie Tharpe
                    President
                    A+ Management Group, LP
                    Nashville, TN

TNSSA Board of Directors
                    www.tnssa.net

Comment

All great stuff! Please take photos and post them here. I write a wrap-up every year (seeking interviewees, particularly first-time attendees) that includes photos or I use them on the SST page in the print issue.
                      Amy Campbell
                      Editor
                      Inside Self-Storage
                      [email protected]

@AmyCampbell_ISS

Comment

Originally posted by MusicCity Gal View Post
                        And this is me with Gina at my first ISS Expo having some fun at the Golden Nugget. She is my Storage BFF!
                        OMG MCG! I was so tired my eyes were slits. LOL! Worst pic ever, but best because it's a reminder of all the fun we had. And I remember Madman keeping us up late and plying us with alcohol the night before.

Gina 6k
                        twitter.com/GinaSixKudo
                        VM: Four-Oh-Eight- Seven-Eight-Oh-Eight-Oh-Seven-Nine
                        [email protected]

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough!
                        I am not an attorney, just an experienced manager who is willing to share what I have learned. Your thoughts, practices or opinions may vary and neither of us may be right.

Comment

What are "tracks"?

Comment

Originally posted by Grizz View Post
                            What are "tracks"?
                            Educational directives. You're looking to grow your present property, you go to the classes that discuss this; you're looking to invest or build new, you go to that set of classes.
                            Throw kindness around like Confetti - But don't get glitter in your eyes!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X