VIRUS on these forums?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VIRUS on these forums?

When i click on a topic I get a pop up box from my anti virus program that states they have detected a JS:agent virus and have neutralized it. Anyone else?

The one thing I hate about the "speed" of this site is when I open "notifications" and see what is the latest responses and then I go right to "recent posts" and click it, if I do it too quick then I get a pop up that says the site will open if I wait 2-3 seconds and click on it again.

So this 66 year old fart, ME, is so quick with the mouse click that this site can't keep up! Oh please!!!!!

But no virus alert here.
    "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Twojoe, I have been getting reports of a virus when visiting off and on for about the last month now. It did stop for a short while, but has constantly been there for a couple weeks now. I did notify the publishers about it a while ago. I have no idea if it is a false positive, or if it is a real threat.

I know until it is gone I limit my usage of the site to computers I know are protected and secure. I don't visit on tablets or smart devices any more.

Comment

Hi All,

I've informed my IT department about this and they've assured me nothing is amiss. However, let me ping them again and let them know that several users are getting this notification. If anyone has a screenshot, please send it to me at amy.campbell@informa.com. Thanks!

Amy Campbell
        Editor
        Inside Self-Storage
        amy.campbell@informa.com

@AmyCampbell_ISS

Comment

I get one also, every time I go to this site. Sometimes more than once while I'm on here.
          AmyLou

Comment

I'm just going to throw in my 2 cents here and say it's never happened to me.
            Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

Comment

Please let me know what Internet browser you're using.
              Amy Campbell
              Editor
              Inside Self-Storage
              amy.campbell@informa.com

@AmyCampbell_ISS

Comment

Here's what they've said:

At this point we believe this is a false positive caused by loading our javascript files meant to add the Informa bar on the site. We are going to move the hosting of those files to a different location to see if that makes a difference.

They've also said they're unable to replicate the problem and asked if anyone can share info. This could be a screenshot of what you're getting. Thanks!
                Amy Campbell
                Editor
                Inside Self-Storage
                amy.campbell@informa.com

@AmyCampbell_ISS

Comment

I'm using Chrome.

Comment

When using Chrome, I get it

Comment

It's not happened to me-I'm on Chrome as well. *knocks on wood*
                      90% of what you're stressing about now won't even be relevant in a year. Breathe easy. ~Wesley Snipes

WA State

Comment

Here is the warning I get which I believe is the same as the original one I sent you before
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by RandyL View Post
                          Here is the warning I get which I believe is the same as the original one I sent you before

That's the same box I get.

Comment

Originally posted by RandyL View Post
                            Hmm. Interesting. And even your Adblock didn't block it. From the picture it's not very clear which one you have installed. I would generally recommend installing either "Ublock Origin" from Raymond Hill (gorhill), or the badly named "AdBlock" from getadblock-dot-com. Be careful though and make sure to check which one you're installing because there's a lot of fake ad block extensions in the Google store.

In any case, a good adblock should generally prevent any third-party connections from the site, such as to the Google Analytics tracking and Amazon S3 bucket that your AVG has detected. Also it should remove most annoying popup ads, including any malicious ads with scripts that could harm your computer, that will also make your pages load faster.

As for the reasons why you saw that warning, I don't see anything malicious on their site now (from my end.) This doesn't mean that this site wasn't hacked earlier. It's well known these days that small sites get hacked pretty easily. Google "magecart" for an example.

On the other hand, to be honest, AVG is less than adequate anti-virus. On an up-to-date Windows 10 system you do not need any third-party AVP. The built-in Windows Defender does quite a good job these days. And it's included in Windows 10 and it's free. Other AVPs are known to show a lot of false-positives in hopes of making you switch to their paid tier. (See that message in your screenshot about "Upgrading your protection." That is a 100% upsell.)
                            - 15+ yr experience in software/app developement
                            - 10 yr experience w/self-storage business/IT

Comment

I use Chrome and have not had an issue.
                              Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Storman
                                Reply to The dangers of those rental trucks in the wrong hands
                                by Storman
                                I'm sure it was bad, but I couldn't watch that video for more than 10 seconds. I need a dramamine.
                                Today, 12:16 AM
                              • Orkocean
                                Reply to new to storage
                                by Orkocean
                                My father didn't talk about his vietnam days, all I know is he was a gunner in heli's and per my mother telling me stories as a kid he had 2 guns when most had one.. *shrug*... As far as my brother i'm not sure what his role was on the ship, it was late 90's early 2000's timeframe and I recall he went...
                                Yesterday, 08:19 PM
                              • MamaDuke
                                Reply to new to storage
                                by MamaDuke
                                My father was on the flight deck of the Kitty Hawk during Vietnam. Squadron, vf-213 F4's.

Small world!...
                                Yesterday, 08:01 PM
                              Working...
                              X