No announcement yet.

VIRUS on these forums?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for sharing the PDF. I've passed it on.
    Amy Campbell
    Editor
    Inside Self-Storage
    [email protected]

@AmyCampbell_ISS

Comment

Originally posted by dc_2000 View Post

Hmm. Interesting. And even your Adblock didn't block it. From the picture it's not very clear which one you have installed. I would generally recommend installing either "Ublock Origin" from Raymond Hill (gorhill), or the badly named "AdBlock" from getadblock-dot-com. Be careful though and make sure to check which one you're installing because there's a lot of fake ad block extensions in the Google store.

In any case, a good adblock should generally prevent any third-party connections from the site, such as to the Google Analytics tracking and Amazon S3 bucket that your AVG has detected. Also it should remove most annoying popup ads, including any malicious ads with scripts that could harm your computer, that will also make your pages load faster.

As for the reasons why you saw that warning, I don't see anything malicious on their site now (from my end.) This doesn't mean that this site wasn't hacked earlier. It's well known these days that small sites get hacked pretty easily. Google "magecart" for an example.

On the other hand, to be honest, AVG is less than adequate anti-virus. On an up-to-date Windows 10 system you do not need any third-party AVP. The built-in Windows Defender does quite a good job these days. And it's included in Windows 10 and it's free. Other AVPs are known to show a lot of false-positives in hopes of making you switch to their paid tier. (See that message in your screenshot about "Upgrading your protection." That is a 100% upsell.)

Great response, this is a windows 7 computer though. I do know about AVG and false positives, which is why I didn't run out to upgrade after seeing this. Thanks for the advice on the ad blocker I will try those other ones out and see if I get a better response. I agree completely that a high quality Ad Blocker is almost a necessity on the internet now a days. Any time a site requires ad block be turned off I just use private browsing so it can't leave traces behind.

Comment

We use Chrome and Avast is our anti-virus. I'm still getting these notifications and do have an Ad-blocker.
        AmyLou

Comment

I use Google Chrome
          I get the same error message
          I run Avast antivirus
          I get that error message when I go to my notifications and then back to the forum
          Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

Using Chrome and MalwareBytes, I get this warning with every new page.

Comment

I believe we've fixed the issue. Please let me know if you still see an issue coming from informa.selfstoragetalk. Thanks!
              Amy Campbell
              Editor
              Inside Self-Storage
              [email protected]

@AmyCampbell_ISS

Comment

Another update: vBulletin completed updates around 5:30 p.m. MST yesterday, so some of you might've received an error when logging on. Let me know if anything else pops up.
                Amy Campbell
                Editor
                Inside Self-Storage
                [email protected]

@AmyCampbell_ISS

Comment

It had been gone for me for several days, but the alert just came back today.

Comment

RandyL I'll let them know.
                    Amy Campbell
                    Editor
                    Inside Self-Storage
                    [email protected]

@AmyCampbell_ISS

Comment

Hey Randy, can you send me a screenshot the next time it happens? Thanks!
                      Amy Campbell
                      Editor
                      Inside Self-Storage
                      [email protected]

@AmyCampbell_ISS

Comment

Originally posted by Amy_ISS View Post
                        Hey Randy, can you send me a screenshot the next time it happens? Thanks!
                        It didn't come back again on this visit I will do so if I see it again

Comment

Amy_ISS I still get a message

block.PNG

Comment

Ugh! Thanks for letting me know. I've alerted IT.
                            Amy Campbell
                            Editor
                            Inside Self-Storage
                            [email protected]

@AmyCampbell_ISS

Comment

Is anyone still getting a virus notification? If so, please post a snip. Thanks!
                              Amy Campbell
                              Editor
                              Inside Self-Storage
                              [email protected]

@AmyCampbell_ISS

Comment

Hi Amy
                                I haven't seen it at all this week!

Thanks
                                Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Bighank
                                  Reply to Pest and Bug protection kit
                                  by Bighank
                                  Idaho has nice. I tell everyone that God built mice better than my ability to get rid of them. When someone says "You have mice?" I look them in the eye and say, "yes." I ask them if they see al the hawks and falcons flying around and ever wonder what they feed on. Most are...
                                  Yesterday, 11:31 PM
                                • KrisinNC
                                  Reply to Lawn & Garden Landscaping
                                  by KrisinNC
                                  This facility doesn't have a lot of landscape-weed-whacking and picking up trash, no lawn etc. So maintenance handles it. Last facility we had a landscaping company and they mowed, cleaned up leaves, branches and even removed snow if needed....
                                  Yesterday, 07:06 PM
                                • Beebop
                                  Reply to Lawn & Garden Landscaping
                                  by Beebop
                                  Our maintenance man use to have to trim the bushes until the owner hired a landscaping company to do it....
                                  Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                                Working...
                                X