Announcement

Collapse

New Membership Approvals

Hello! We're thrilled you want to be a part of Self-Storage Talk! Please be patient with us as registration make take longer to process around the holidays. We'll approve new accounts as promptly as possible. We thank you in advance for your understanding.
See more
See less

ISS Gallery on Preventing Employee Theft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ISS Gallery on Preventing Employee Theft

ISS has published a new gallery, "Battling the Enemy Within: Detecting and Preventing Self-Storage Employee Theft." Get advice on how to prevent it and warning signs that it could be happening at your facility.
    Amy Campbell
    Editor
    Inside Self-Storage
    [email protected]

@AmyCampbell_ISS

I'm not enough of a criminal mastermind I guess. It's interesting to see the different ways that it's happened, though. Our management company has many layers of checks and balances to prevent most of these shenanigans, but anything can be gotten around.
    Even duct-tape can't fix stupid. But it can muffle the noises.

WA State

Comment

I actually think people in charge should have a bit of "Criminal mastermind" to them, how do you know what to watch out for if it's something you've never even considered a possibility? Personally my mind runs so many scenarios there isn't much that will get past me unless it's some truly genius level criminal mastermind activity. I've had employees think they were smart and try to sneak stuff by but it never lasts long.

Comment

I liked the article. I got my position because I was able to sniff out what the previous manager was doing. Thankfully, it was pretty low tech here and it wasn't too hard to connect the dots.

I think the article did a great job of pointing out some of the ways an employee can steal from the company. Just as importantly, it can help the manager be aware of the possibilities and put measures in place to prevent it in the future.

Matt

Comment

This was a great article. Carol and I have swapped some stories. I have found more than you could ever imagine on site audits.

My favorite story is my manager who had sex with her boyfriend on the showroom floor. Get this, on the 1st of the month, during business hours, on a Saturday and I guess she simply forgot we had cameras. What's really funny is she called one of my other managers to brag on her afternoon delight and that manager called me.

When I fought her unemployment I let them know we had video. She was denied.
          Stephanie Tharpe
          President
          A+ Management Group, LP
          Nashville, TN
          www,aplusmanagementgroup.com

TNSSA Board of Directors
          www.tnssa.net

Comment

Originally posted by MusicCity Gal View Post
            This was a great article. Carol and I have swapped some stories. I have found more than you could ever imagine on site audits.

My favorite story is my manager who had sex with her boyfriend on the showroom floor. Get this, on the 1st of the month, during business hours, on a Saturday and I guess she simply forgot we had cameras. What's really funny is she called one of my other managers to brag on her afternoon delight and that manager called me.

When I fought her unemployment I let them know we had video. She was denied.
            ewwww.
            Even duct-tape can't fix stupid. But it can muffle the noises.

WA State

Comment

Originally posted by KrisinNC View Post

ewwww.
              LOL reading Music city gal's post, your comment and THEN your signature line is pretty much a perfect setup for a good chuckle!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• KrisinNC
                Reply to Expanded metal fencing... do you have experience with this?
                by KrisinNC
                Or you could electrify your current fence with a box/wire used for horses/cattle. IT won't ~kill~ them, but it packs a punch. I'd know, I've bumped into a few. ...
                Yesterday, 09:44 PM
              • evansr
                Reply to Promotional ideas
                by evansr
                Same here, our unit occupancy has been a bit low, company average across our sites 86% (we've also added new units at a few sites), but our economic occupancy is at an all time high (percentage and dollar totals) due to consistent rate increases on all customers. We use storEDGE and push our discounts...
                Yesterday, 09:13 PM
              • Storman
                Reply to Expanded metal fencing... do you have experience with this?
                by Storman
                This expanded metal comes in many thicknesses and sizes. The 3/4" and 9 gauge is likely much heavier than what you used for your trailer ramp. The 4x8 sheets that I'm looking at cost about $60 each, but the added cost of galvanizing and delivering them to my facility is what bumps them to ~$100...
                Yesterday, 07:55 PM
              Working...
              X