Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orkocean
    replied
    Exactly Gina6k ... Kind of goes with the comments I made on another post about the undervalue of the storage manager role in general. I don't make any where near as much as I used to in this industry but i've also stepped away from owners who cause quite a few "face palms" as you said.

Leave a comment:

• Gina6k
    replied
    I'm going to be the voice of dissent here, I'm so tired of hearing how all employees are out to rip off the owners. Yes, it happens and it infuriates me when owners don't press charges and those same folks land at other properties. But I've been working with some real doozies in the owner department the last couple of years. I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to do a face palm when things come out of their mouths. The 'rip-off" occurs on both sides of the equation, it's not all one-sided. I've walked away from a couple of nice paying jobs because I just can't help someone who talks about what they're not doing at their property and how that 520 square foot studio apartment is more than enough compensation for anyone to run their site. Salary? Why do I need to pay that? <Insert face palm here>

Leave a comment:

• Orkocean
    replied
    Originally posted by KrisinNC View Post

ewwww.
    LOL reading Music city gal's post, your comment and THEN your signature line is pretty much a perfect setup for a good chuckle!

Leave a comment:

• KrisinNC
    replied
    Originally posted by MusicCity Gal View Post
    This was a great article. Carol and I have swapped some stories. I have found more than you could ever imagine on site audits.

My favorite story is my manager who had sex with her boyfriend on the showroom floor. Get this, on the 1st of the month, during business hours, on a Saturday and I guess she simply forgot we had cameras. What's really funny is she called one of my other managers to brag on her afternoon delight and that manager called me.

When I fought her unemployment I let them know we had video. She was denied.
    ewwww.

Leave a comment:

• MusicCity Gal
    replied
    This was a great article. Carol and I have swapped some stories. I have found more than you could ever imagine on site audits.

My favorite story is my manager who had sex with her boyfriend on the showroom floor. Get this, on the 1st of the month, during business hours, on a Saturday and I guess she simply forgot we had cameras. What's really funny is she called one of my other managers to brag on her afternoon delight and that manager called me.

When I fought her unemployment I let them know we had video. She was denied.

Leave a comment:

• tonaselfstore
    replied
    I liked the article. I got my position because I was able to sniff out what the previous manager was doing. Thankfully, it was pretty low tech here and it wasn't too hard to connect the dots.

I think the article did a great job of pointing out some of the ways an employee can steal from the company. Just as importantly, it can help the manager be aware of the possibilities and put measures in place to prevent it in the future.

Matt

Leave a comment:

• Orkocean
    replied
    I actually think people in charge should have a bit of "Criminal mastermind" to them, how do you know what to watch out for if it's something you've never even considered a possibility? Personally my mind runs so many scenarios there isn't much that will get past me unless it's some truly genius level criminal mastermind activity. I've had employees think they were smart and try to sneak stuff by but it never lasts long.

Leave a comment:

• KrisinNC
    replied
    I'm not enough of a criminal mastermind I guess. It's interesting to see the different ways that it's happened, though. Our management company has many layers of checks and balances to prevent most of these shenanigans, but anything can be gotten around.

Leave a comment:

• Amy_ISS
    started a topic ISS Gallery on Preventing Employee Theft

ISS Gallery on Preventing Employee Theft

ISS has published a new gallery, "Battling the Enemy Within: Detecting and Preventing Self-Storage Employee Theft." Get advice on how to prevent it and warning signs that it could be happening at your facility.

Latest Topics

Collapse

• NCstorageguru
    Reply to Slips, Trips and Falls
    by NCstorageguru
    We had a very successful retired contract lawyer storing her goods with us after she sold her house to the travel around the world. She was very concerned about insurance and covering her goods. She looked into the policy that was offered through our software. I will NOT name any names but let's just...
    Today, 02:52 PM
  • MusicCity Gal
    Reply to Website Revamp
    by MusicCity Gal
    Great article and we LOVE our website. We just had both of our websites completely rebuilt by Storage Pug. Cannot recommend them highly enough. You will see my testimony on their brand new website....
    Today, 02:47 PM
  • MusicCity Gal
    Reply to Catchy Slogans
    by MusicCity Gal
    "And by signing here you agree to be on the show Storage Wars if you don't pay your bill".

That's not really our slogan but I had a manager who said that every time she presented the lease to a new tenant and it just cracked me up. It made them laugh but they also got the point...
    Today, 02:42 PM
Working...
X